University of New England College of Medicine (UNECOM), Biddeford, ME
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, June 2002
Who's Who Among Senior Medical Students, 2002
UNECOM Scholarship 1998-2001
Vice-president of Sigma Sigma Phi, academic honor society promoting community service and excellence
Tufts University, Medford, MA
Bachelor of Science in biology; minor in economics, May 1997
Dean's List, fall 1994 and spring 1995
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Residency in Urology, July 2005- June 2009
Program Chairman: Firouz Daneshgari, M.D.
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Residency in Surgery as part of Urology program, March 2004-June 2005
Program Chairman: Paul R. Cunningham, M.D.
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Internship/Residency in Surgery, June 2002-February 2004
Program Director: Alan T. Lefor, M.D.
Department of Transplant Surgery,
UNY Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
Research Fellow, September 2004-December 2005
- Elucidated the mechanisms by which immunosuppressive agents causes chronic renal graft failure.
- Conducted immunohistochemistry, immunoassays and prote~n analysis on cell culture that mimics endothelial cell dysfunction.
Pathology Department, Tufts Medical School, Boston, MA
Laboratory technician,]une 1997-December 1998
- Initiated studies on the mechanisms by which hormones regulate the proliferation of prostatic cells.
- Conducted PCR and immunohistochemical studies on samples of human and rat tissue obtained from radical prostatectomies.
Department of Endocrinology, Tufts University, Medford, MA
UndergradJiate research assistant, Department of Biology, Fall 1996-Spring 1997
- Independent research program in endocrinology laboratory investigating mechanisms involving the induction and progression of prostate and breast cancer.
- Achieved highest honors in research production and presentation on the expression and enhancement of prolactin receptor in prostatic cell lines under the influence of various hormones.
Dulabon L, LaSpina M, Riddell SW, Kiiska DL, Cynamon M, Pseudomonas aeruginosa acute prostatitis and urosepsis after sexual relations in a hot tub, Journal of Clinical Microbiology,47(5):1607-8, 2009.
LaSpina M and Haas G, Update of the diagnosis and management of prostate cancer, The Canadian Journal of
Urology, 15 Supp: 3-13, 2008.
LaSpina M, Tripathi 5, Gatto L, Bruch D, Maier K, Kittur D, An interleukin-6 neutralizing antibody
prevents cyclosporine-induced nephrotoxicity in mice, Journal of Surgical Research, 48: 121-25,2008.
LaSpina M, Fleshner P, Colo-seminal vesicle as an unusual complication of diverticulitis: A case report and
literature review. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 49: 1791-1793, Nov. 2006.
Lau KM, LaSpina M, LongJ, Ho SM, Expression of estrogen receptor (ER)-a and ER-f3 in normal and
malignant prostatic epithelial cells: regulation by methylation and involvement in growth regulation. Cancer
Research, 60:3175-3182, 2000.
- LaSpina M, Brown J, Kardjian P, Cryoablation of the Prostate in a Community Setting by a Single Surgeon. Presented at 2008 Northeastern section AUA meeting in Santa Ana, NM.
- Maier KG, Brandy K, Kittur D, Kort K, LaSpina M, GPR30: A novelestrogen receptor expressed in
aggressive prostate cancer, FASEB. Presented at the 2006 FASEB meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- LaSpina M, Ivfaier KG Bruch D, Kittur D, The expression of E-cadherin is regulated by Src family tyrosine
kinases in invasive prostate cancer cells. Surgery. Presented at the American Surgical Congress meeting, San Diego, CA.
- LaSpina M, Maier KG, Bruch D, Kittur D, Cyclosporin Upregulates IL-6 by Activating NADPH Oxidase
and c-src. Surgery. Presented at the2005 American College of Surgeons meeting, San Franscisco, CA.
- LaSpina M, Maier KG Bruch D, Kittur D, Hypoxia Induced Tumor Angiogenic Signaling Involves
NADPH Oxidase. FASEB. Presented at the 2005 FASEB meeting, San Diego, CA.
- LaSpina M, Maier KG, Kittur D, A novel role for cateruns in cyclosporine mediated endothelial
dysfunction. Surgery. Presented at the 2005 Society of University Surgeons annual meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Maier KG, Shah G, LaSpina M, Bruch D, Middleton K, Kittur D, Sandimmune induced endothelial
dysfunction: Differential actions of cyclosporine and cremaphor. Journal of Surgical Research 121,245-257. Presented at the 2004 Association for Academic Surgery, Houston, Texas.
- Azizian M, Shah G, Maier KG, Bruch D, Kittur D, Differential Effect of Ischemia Vs.
Ischemia/Reperfusion on Endothelial Cells. Journal of Surgical Research 121, 245-257. Presented at the
2004 Association for Academic Surgery, Houston, Texas.
- Lau KM, LaSpina M, LongJ, Ho SM. Antiestrogen, via estrogen receptor beta (ERJ3) pathway, inhibit
growth of prostate cancer cells. Proceedings of American Association for Cancer Research 90th Annual meeting
40:637-638 (#4203), 1999.